We've separated & jointly own our home outright. Can either of us borrow in our sole names against the house, to pay the other a lump sum?

Posted on 21 June 2014 by Kate

My husband and I have separated and jointly own our home outright, no mortgage. Can either of us borrow in our sole names against the house, to pay the other a lump sum?


What you are looking to do is called a "transfer of equity", whereby you would apply for a remortgage, to capital raise the lump sum to pay off your husband. At the same time the solicitors will arrange to remove his name from the title deeds, so that on completion, he would receive his lump sum and the property would become your solely yours.

This is a fairly starightforward transaction, subject to whichever of you is keeping the property meeting the lenders standard affordability requirements and passing their credit score.

If you'd like to discuss your options in more detail, then please contact one of our consultants on 0344 346 3672 and they'll be able to give you an idea of how we can help.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.