Why Can Mortgages for Doctors Be So Hard to Arrange?
Arranging mortgages for doctors can be difficult because of the LLP status of practices, with income made up of unpredictable drawings rather than a guaranteed income. Many doctors taking up a post for the first time may have come from the NHS, others may combine locum work with private practice. The result can be a complex source of income that won’t meet the usual requirement of a standard mortgage application.
How Can John Charcol Help with Mortgages for Doctors?
As mortgage experts with years of experience, we have helped numerous doctors, vets, dentists, solicitors and other partners in LLPs to secure mortgage deals - including specialist mortgages. We often approach more flexible lenders, who we know are willing to take a broader view than many standard mortgage providers.
We’ll make an individual case for your precise circumstances and then approach smaller building societies, private banks and other reputable lenders we know who are prepared to take a more flexible approach.
This might include:
- Using an NHS P60 and recent CV to establish credibility and income potential
- Getting accounts from the partnerships and using statements from your practice financial director to establish projected drawings
- Approaching lenders who we know are used to dealing with partners in LLPs and are prepared to take other financial information into account
- Talking direct with underwriters and making a personal case based on a wider view of your wealth, assets and potential earnings
Talk to Our Experts Today
Why Should You Trust John Charcol to Arrange Your Doctors Mortgage?
- Independent We know where to find the best deals for people like you
- Experienced We’ve been arranging mortgages for almost 45 years
- Personal We’ll come to you and take as much pain out of the process as humanly possible
- Expert Many of our clients don’t qualify for a standard mortgage. That’s where our expertise comes in
- Flexible We're used to working with high net worth individuals who want flexible mortgages that give them best value
- Fast We work quickly to make things happen in the timeframes you need
- Accessible We’re real people available on the end of the phone or in person, as and when you need us
Mortgages for Doctors FAQs
How can I get a mortgage if I have just joined a practice from the NHS?
We can take your previous earnings from the NHS and projected partnership drawings to make a personal case for you.
What if I my earnings are made up from locum work?
It’s still possible to secure a mortgage, but we may need to base it on your locum billings.
Can you help me to arrange a mortgage around my intense work schedule?
At Charcol we’re used to working with individuals who are under real time pressure. That’s why we come to you and fit in with your schedule.
I want a flexible mortgage that allows me to use lump sums to reduce it each year in significant payments. Can that be arranged?
We’re expert at arranging this kind of mortgage, making the best of low rates of borrowing with capital payments when bonuses, dividends or profit share is available.
Is there a fast-track service so that I can secure the property I have my eye on now?
Unlike high street lenders we’re fast and nimble, so if you need us to talk to an Estate Agent or make things happen fast to secure a particular property, we’ll do everything we can to make that happen.
Can I speak to someone with the authority to make decisions based on my real circumstances rather than computer-set limitations?
Yes. At John Charcol our consultants are all experienced independent mortgage advisers. We often arrange mortgages for doctors and medical professionals through reputable private banks and investment houses who have much more flexibility on who they lend to and how much they will lend.
Buying Your First Home
From the definition of a first-time buyer, through the steps to buying a property and the costs you’ll face - everything you need to know is in our guide.
Applying for a Mortgage
Applying for a mortgage couldn’t be simpler with our easy and simple guide from application to accepting your offer.
House Buying Mortgage Guide
Are you looking to buy your first home? Or perhaps want to move to a new area? Our step-by-step guide will tell you everything you need to know about buying a house.
On this page you’ll find our detailed mortgage terminology glossary. There’s a lot of jargon out there but we’re here to make it easy.
Our guide explains everything you need to know about the different types of mortgages, including: interest rates, features, repayment methods and more.