Expat mortgage brokers
If you have accepted a job abroad and have decided to rent out your existing property- or perhaps you’re looking to buy before you return home- it can be difficult to find high street mortgage providers who will lend you money. Some lenders may refuse to give consent for an expat mortgage and others may offer you a buy-to-let mortgage at a higher rate than the standard variable you were expecting.
John Charcol is an expert in helping clients to arrange good value expat mortgages. As an expert mortgage broker, we typically work with smaller building societies and private banks who are willing to offer expat mortgages at competitive rates and can complete within the timescale pressures you may be under.
Types of expat mortgages
Expat mortgages fall into two categories:
- Homeowners who are planning to move abroad and wish to retain their property – usually to rent out to tenants
- People who are currently living abroad and are planning to return home- and buy a property- at some point in the future
Many of the major lenders are less inclined to support non-standard mortgage lending, which includes mortgages for expats. Many are also unable to work at the speed or at a convenient time to match your international lifestyle.
How can John Charcol help with expat mortgages?
We are experienced in helping to arrange expat mortgages for people moving abroad and for those planning to come home. We often work with smaller, more agile lenders and we can usually offer you a choice of expat mortgages to meet different scenarios including:
- Lower set-up fees or a more competitive mortgage rate
- Mortgages to meet specific loan to value ratios or arranged around projected rental incomes
- Expat mortgages that take into account structures like family trusts, offshore investments, international wealth and multi-currency income profiles
- Fixed term to meet your offshore secondment or a longer mortgage term for a more permanent or open-ended move abroad
- Fast turnaround to meet your moving commitments
If you are arranging your mortgage from a different time zone, we’ll make ourselves available at times that suit you and we’ll do all the running around for you so everything is ready to go when you need it to be.
To find out how we can help with your expat mortgage, call us on 0344 346 3672 or enquire now.
Find out how much you can borrow for your expat mortgages
Need some advice?
Send us your details and we will help find the mortgage that's right for you:
Frequently asked questions
Can you arrange a choice of lenders for my expat buy-to-let mortgage?
Yes. We can normally find a range of lenders with different offers so that we can settle on the best one for your precise circumstances.
My current lender won’t give consent to let. Can you help?
In our experience, mainstream lenders can be reluctant to get involved in expat mortgages. We have lots of reputable lenders who may be able to help.
I’m currently living abroad. Can I get a mortgage in the UK?
We often help UK nationals living abroad to buy property here, either ready to move into, or as a buy-to-let investment for the future.
Can you help me to arrange a mortgage around my timezones?
At John Charcol we’re used to working with people living in different timezones. From New York to Hong Kong, we’ll work around your availability and handle the running here.
I want a flexible mortgage that allows me to use my bonus to reduce it each year in significant payments. Can that be arranged?
We’re expert at arranging this kind of mortgage, making the best of low rates of borrowing with capital payments when bonuses are available. You’ll just need to check overpayment limits in the terms and conditions of the mortgage.
Is there a fast-track service so that I can secure the property I have my eye on now?
We’re quick and nimble, so if you need us to make things happen fast to secure a particular property, we’ll do everything we can to make that happen.
Can I speak to someone with the authority to make decisions based on my real circumstances rather than computer-set limitations?
Yes. At John Charcol our consultants are all experienced mortgage advisers. We often arrange expat mortgages through reputable private banks and investment houses with much more flexibility on who they lend to and how much they will lend.
Why John Charcol?
- Independent We know where to find the best deals for people like you.
- Experienced We’ve been arranging mortgages for almost 40 years.
- Personal We’ll come to you and take as much pain out of the process as humanly possible.
- Expert Many of our clients don’t qualify for a standard mortgage. That’s where our expertise comes in.
- Flexible We're used to working with high net worth individuals who want flexible mortgages that give them best value.
- Fast We work quickly to make things happen in the timeframes you need.
- Accessible We’re real people available on the end of the phone or in person, as and when you need us.