Can I get a loan for my personal property development?

Development finance is a mortgage or loan designed to help you fund the building of a property that you intend to sell or rent out once it’s complete. You might have a portion of your back garden you can section off for a new-build, or perhaps you have inherited an older property that you wish to knock down to make space for new homes or apartments. John Charcol is an expert in helping clients to arrange development finance for projects with planning permission throughout the UK. 

Property Development Finance Brokers

Raising finance for a property development can be tricky, but John Charcol has decades of experience in the UK mortgage market to overcome these difficulties. Our experts can arrange specialist mortgages and finance options for all kinds of clients and circumstances.

What Deals Are There?

Learn about the different mortgage deals and rates on the market now. From bridging loans to second charge mortgage products - we can find the right option for you.


Talk to Our Experts Today

0330 433 2927

Send Us an Enquiry

Property Development Finance FAQs

Can I Get Development Finance Without Planning Permission?

No. You must have planning permission first

Can I Borrow 100% of the Build Costs?

No. Typically you will need to fund at least 30% to 40% of the development costs yourself 

Is It Easier to Get Development Finance on Certain Projects?

Yes. Lenders will favour people with experience, but that doesn’t mean we can’t help if this is your first time.

Do I Need to Own the Land First?

No. We can help you purchase the land, as well as provide finance for the build.

Is There a Set Time Limit?

Yes, between 12-18 months for residential building projects. Longer terms than 18 months become commercial mortgages, which is a separate product.

Home Insurance

We’re partners with Legal and General, so we can find you buildings and contents insurance for your new property. 

Learn More


It's important to protect yourself against the unforeseen. Our in-house team can organise mortgage protection that's tailored to suit your unique needs.

Learn More

JC Legal

Not only do we organise your mortgage, we can refer you to a trusted solicitor for the conveyancing part of the process, choosing from our panel of trusted conveyancers and solicitors.

Learn More


We can help you prepare your property for tenants with our exclusive Concierge Service - available through our partners Just Move In. They’ll arrange all the removals for you. 

Learn More

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.