Self-employed mortgage brokers
As self-employed mortgage brokers with over 40 years of experience, we have helped many self-employed business people to secure mortgages after high street lenders have turned them down.
We know that finding a mortgage can be frustrating for freelancers and self-employed professionals, but we have built our reputation on helping property buyers to find finance when their circumstances are too complex for many mortgage providers.
Why are mortgages for self-employed people more complicated?
Mortgages for freelancers, contractors or anyone who is self-employed can be difficult to secure because they rely on the financial picture presented by your business. The problem is that your accountant will be trying to present a tax-efficient view, while a mortgage lender is only looking at income.
John Charcol is an expert in helping clients to secure freelance or self-employed mortgages. We typically approach lenders who we know are willing to look beyond the accountant’s assessment and take a broader view.
How can you prove your income?
If you are self-employed, a freelancer, contractor or consultant of some kind, getting a mortgage can be difficult because you need to be able to prove your income.
If you are running a relatively new business without an established track record or you have tax-efficient books prepared by your accountant, or you take part of your earnings in dividends, high street lenders may not be prepared to extend a loan, even if you are confident that you can afford the repayments.
Self-employed mortgage advice
Over the years we have advised countless self-employed professionals to find the right mortgage for them.
Our approach is to spend time understanding your situation and then to present a personal case to self-employed mortgage lenders we know are best placed to support your application.
This might include approaching lenders who:
- Take into account net profits of the business, adding back in your drawings so that they have a better view of your potential annual income
- Understand business finance and can look behind the accountants tax-efficient statement to assess real income
- Will allow us to talk direct with underwriters and make a personal case based on a wider view of your potential earnings
- Understand the pressures of self-employed business people and can work quickly to get a mortgage offer in place
To find out how we can help with your self-employed or freelance mortgage, call us on 0344 346 3672 or enquire now.
Need some advice?
Send us your details and we will help find the mortgage that's right for you:
Frequently asked questions
How can I get a mortgage if my accountant is working to minimise profit for tax-efficiency in the business?
Many self-employed people face this problem. At John Charcol, we know how to make the best case and which lenders are happy to look beyond the headline figures to understand what you can really afford.
If the high street lenders tell me I can’t get the multiple on my salary, are there other places I can go?
Yes. We deal with regional building societies, private banks and other niche lenders who will look at each client on an individual basis. The range of income multiples can be as high as five times or more.
Can you help me to arrange a mortgage around my intense work schedule?
At John Charcol we’re used to working with busy individuals who are under real time pressure. That’s why we come to you and fit in with your schedule.
Is there a fast-track service so that I can secure the property I have my eye on now?
Unlike high street lenders we’re quick and nimble, so if you need us to get a mortgage offer fast so that we can secure a particular property, we’ll do everything we can to make that happen.
I want a flexible mortgage that allows me to use my bonus to reduce it each year in significant payments. Can that be arranged?
We’re expert at arranging this kind of mortgage, making the best of low rates of borrowing with capital payments when bonuses are available.
Can I speak to someone with the authority to make decisions based on my real circumstances rather than computer-set limitations?
Yes. At John Charcol our consultants are all experienced independent mortgage advisers. We often arrange self-employed mortgages through reputable private banks and investment houses who have much more flexibility on who they lend to and how much they will lend.
Why John Charcol?
- Independent We know where to find the best deals for people like you.
- Experienced We’ve been arranging London City mortgages for over 20 years.
- Personal We’ll come to you and take as much pain out of the process as humanly possible.
- Expert Many of our clients don’t qualify for a standard mortgage. That’s where our expertise comes in.
- Flexible We're used to working with high net worth individuals who want flexible mortgages that give them best value.
- Fast We work quickly to make things happen in the timeframes you need.
- Accessible We’re real people available on the end of the phone or in person, as and when you need us.