We've been in the UK for 4 years on visa's and have been told we have to have 25% deposit to buy a house. Is this correct?

Posted on 1 February 2015 by Laleh

Hi there,we have been in UK for 4 years and my husband has contract job.  We don't have UK citizenship, but are here on work permit visa. We have decided to buy a house, but is it right that we should provide at least 25% deposit to get the mortgage, because we are not UK citizens?? Or does it depend on the lender?? Thanks a lot. Laleh.


It is certainly true that to have the biggest choice of lenders open to you, then it would be better to have a 25% deposit, however you are also right that all lenders do have slightly different criteria in this scenario, and we would need to match you with the most suitable one.

It's a plus point that you have been in the UK for 4 years, as this means that there should be a good credit history for lenders to check against, but without knowing more about your overall financial situation I can't say anything more definite.

To get a more detailed idea of what your oprions are, you can speak to a consultant on 0344 346 3672 and they'll be able to give you a fuller idea of how we can help you get the home you want.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.