We're getting divorced and I want to have the mortgage in joint names, but the house in just mine. Can we do this?

Posted on 12 October 2015 by Sara

My husband and I are going through a divorce. The house is in joint names on the deeds and we have a joint mortgage. Can I put the house in my name only and take him off the deeds but retain the joint mortgage? He has said he will continue to pay the mortgage but that I'm not allowed by law to have the house solely in my name. He says that's only possible on buy to let properties. He's a financial adviser so I'm worried he's trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Can you advise?

What you are looking to do is known as "joint borrower / sole proprietor", which is where two borrowers are on the mortgage, but only one of them is on the title deeds. It is also not correct that this is only available for Buy To Let, though it is something which isn't offered by the vast majority of lenders.

If you'd like to discuss your options in more detail, then please contact one of our consultants on 0344 346 3672 and they'll be able to give you a more detailed idea of how we can help.

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.