We want to buy a property for investment, that our son will live in rent free. How can we do this?

Posted on 28 July 2013 by Paul

I am looking to buy a property jointly with my partner as an investment / pension, my partner owns her property outright so we are mortgage free, we would look to borrow about 60% of the value, what types of mortgages are available. we don't plan on letting the property, as our son may live in it, but rent free.


There is a reasonable chance that we should be able to find a lender who can help you out. Whether they can will depend on the value of the house, how much you want to borrow, your overall credit history and the term of the morgage in relation to your ages.

Whilst many lenders base their lending decisions solely on the credit score generated by an application, there are still lenders who base their decisions on the individual merits of the case, and I think it may that it more this type of lender that we may be looking at.

The best thing to do is to speak to one of our mortgage experts to move things forward. You can either arrange a time for a consultant to call you by emailing back, or you can call us on 0844 346 3672. If you do call could you please tell the consultant that you have spoken to Ask the Expert.




More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.