Turkish Security

Posted on 22 November 2011 by volkan

I want to buy a house in the UK.  I have been in london for 1 year and I am self employed.  We have a house in Turkey in my mothers name.  I want to know can I show that house as security and get a mortgage in London, my mother is happy to help?  I earn about £1200 a month and have about £10,000 deposit for a small flat?  Thank you.


I am not aware of any UK banks or building societies who would be willing to take a house in Turkey as additional security for a mortgage in the UK.  Your Mother may be able to raise some capital on it to provide you with a larger deposit, but this would have to be arranged through her local bank.

I regret that I do not think you will be able to obtain a mortgage large enough, based on your sole income and deposit, to be able to buy a small flat in London.  You will also find that UK lenders nearly always want you to have at least 2 years self employed accounts to back up your declared income figures.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.