Transferring the house to my name.

Posted on 9 November 2012 by Sam

My husband and I separated 3 years ago. The mortgage on the family home is in his name only. How can I transfer this to my name. I have been paying the mortage for the last 3 years.


As you are not already on the mortgage, you will effectively be buying the property from your ex-husband. As long as he's prepared to sign the relevant paperwork, then there's no legal reason why you shouldn't be able to do this.

However, to be able to take on the new mortgage, you will need to meet the lenders standard criteria based on your sole situation, and I would need more information from yourself before I can say whether this is possible or not.

If you would like to go through your enquiry in more detail, please let me know and I'll get one of our consultants to have a chat with you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.