Stamp Duty on Property Transfers

Posted on 24 May 2012 by Gill

Can you please advise me?

My husband and I have 3 young children and have been married for 2 years but have lived together for 12 years.

We're currently remortgaging a property to complete renovation work, this property will then be our family home. The property is in my husbands name as I had a ccj at the time and he has good credit.

He spoke with the bank manager who said to put my name on the mortgage we would have to pay stamp duty again.

Is this true or should I be worried? I honestly believed that now were married I would be entitled to an equal split if we ever separated.


We are not qualified to give tax advice and you really need to speak to either a Solicitor, Accountant or Specialist Tax Adviser.  I have forwarded your enquiry to our in house Solicitors Rollingson’s, who will contact you directly with regards to this and your entitlement should you ever split.

I also suggest that you read the HM Revenue & Customs website:

and in particular the section headed: Getting married, entering a civil partnership or setting up home together.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.