Separation and mortgage payments

Posted on 24 February 2010 by rose

I have been separated for a little over 2 years. In the beginning my ex would help me with the mortgage, for the last 6-8 months he has not helped to pay the mortgage, and i have been paying the mortgage on my own, would i get reimbursed for the months that i paid the mortgage, we do have a separation agreement which states that he is to pay the mortgage in full until the sale of the house.


You need to speak to your lender and explain the situation if you are going to have any difficulties in meeting the mortgage payments.  The more they know, the more sympathetic they will be and you may be able to reach an amicable agreement for the level of future payments.

I suggest that either seek independent legal advice or speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau regarding your former partners mortgage contributions and what action can be taken to ensure he meets his obligations.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.