Scottish Law

Posted on 25 July 2011 by Marie

R.B.S. say it is law in Scotland to use a solicitor to exit my mortgage.  As I have just paid it off I do not want this extra expense.  What should I do?


I am not able or qualified to give legal advice.  However, in theory it is possible for an individual to complete the final administration to amend the details on the Land Registry to show that the Discharge of the Standard Security has been completed.  I would say it is normal practice to engage a solicitor to do so.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.