Right to Buy in Retirement

Posted on 14 June 2015 by Samuel

My father is 85 and we both have applied to buy his council property. The problem is that he needs to be named on the mortgage and i am struggling to find a lender who will add him as a joint morgagee. I of course will be paying back the monthly payments so is there any companies that allow that or is the cut off just 75 no matter what the circumstance?

Hi Samuel,

I am only aware of 1 lender who has no upper age limit for Right to buy mortgage applications and as you have found out the vast majority have a maximum age limit of 75 at the end of the mortgage term.  They are a small provincial building society with a reputation for sensible lending throughout England and Wales.

Please call 0344 346 3672 to speak to one of our independent mortgage advisers who will explain our service, take your details and check if they would be willing to accept a mortgage application from you.

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.


You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.