Revoking a CCJ

Posted on 5 April 2011 by Ian

My girlfriend has recently received a CCJ for a unpaid water bill of £380. We are looking to take on a mortgage and we knew nothing of the CCJ until it recently appeared on her Experian file. We received no notification to our current address of 23 months. Can anything be done to revoke the CCJ? The CCJ was settled the day after it appeared on her Experian file.


If you’ve got a good reason, you can ask for the judgment to be ‘set aside’ so it doesn’t take effect straight away. You’ll have to pay a fee. The case then goes back to the start of the claim process. You have another chance to explain your situation and the judgment is taken off the register unless a new one is made.

This is taken from the excellent Government website DirectGov, find out how to go about applying to get the judgement set aside.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.