Renting my flat for a year

Posted on 30 October 2012 by Hannah

I would like to move out of my home for 1 year. It is worth £170,000 and I have a £72,000 Mortgage with Halifax . When I asked for a consent to lease they informed me that I would have to go on a different mortgage at 6%. I am currently on 3.5% with a variable, tracker. Whilst I don't mind paying extra for the year I am renting flat out I do not want to loose the favorable rate permanently, also I am self employed so they may not even let me have a different mortgage. Do you have any advice on how I can rent my flat out for a year without changing my mortgage?

Thank you


Once you return to your flat, they will look at giving you an alternative product, though it is normally down to what is available at the time, rather than the rate you were on previously.

If you would like to discuss your options in more detail, then please let me know and I'll get one of our consultants to speak with you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.