Remortgage of Home for Dependent Relative

Posted on 24 October 2012 by Kerry

We have a property that is free of mortgage that my partners parents live in, if we wish to release funds via a remortgage on this property to buy a second home for ourselves leaving our parents in the orginal house. Can this be done on a residential mortgage as they do not pay any rent to ourselves.


We could look to proceed on this case under a "home for dependent relative" application, and there are a number of lenders who are more than happy with this scenario.

Naturally we would need further details on the rest of the case, before we could give a definite 'yes', but in priniciple what you are looking to do is feasible.

If you would like to discuss your enquiry in more detail, then please let me know and I'll arrange for one of our consultants to speak to you.


More than mortgages, talk to me about:

Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.