Relationship Break Up

Posted on 2 May 2012 by paul

Bought a house 6 month ago with my partner. the relationship has turned sour. we are tied into mortgage for 2 year , good rate but very high payment required to get out of mortgage within the tied time. im willing to give her the money she invested into property back out of my savings and continue meet all bills myself. then once 2 year up sell house. can i get her transfer deeds to myself but her to remain on mortgage until this time. anyway of giving her the money back but protecting that she will have no claim on house?


It is theoretically possible to hold the mortgage in more names than on the title deeds, but you will need to get consent from your lender and your partner will have to agree to staying on the mortgage.

I have referred your question to our in house Solicitors, Rollingson's for them to reply directly to you on the legal aspects of your query and you should hear from them this week.

I don't recommend that you speak to your lender until you and your partner have taken independent legal advice.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.