Protecting My Husband

Posted on 23 October 2012 by Lynne Farrell

Protecting My Husband

I recently married but my mortgage is in my sole name and we have agreed to leave it as this. I would like to know what I need to do regarding the mortgage to ensure my husband remains in the house if anything where to happen to me.

As your new husband isn't on the property deeds, and therefore not on the mortgage, you would need to make sure that you have made a will, that clearly sets out your wishes, and you have protection in place, which will pay pay out and then be used to settle the mortgage, in the event of something happening to you.

Although John Charcol is primarily a mortgage broker, we do have protection specialists, and also can you put you in touch with a solicitor to talk to you about a will, if you haven't already made one. Please let me know if you would like to speak further on this.


More than mortgages, talk to me about:

Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance

General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.