Property Rights

Posted on 30 January 2011 by lisa evans

I have a joint mortgage with my father and we both reside in the property.  When purchased my father was married to my mother, now my mother has started divorce proceedings and in her solicitors letter it states that she wants him to hand over all his entitlement to the property and for her name to be on the mortgage along with mine.  If he does not accept this she will take him to court for the judge to decide. I do not want her on the mortgage, do I get any say on who I have a mortgage with, where do I stand?


I regret that we are not qualified to answer your question and recommend that you seek independent legal advice about your situation.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.