Overseas Remortgage

Posted on 19 May 2010 by Paul Pettitt

I want to borrow £25000 for home improvements, but I don't have enough equity in my house to raise that amount.  Can I use a property I own outright in France as equity to help raise the cash I need?


It is possible to remortgage your property in France and the released equity can be used towards home improvements.

You will need to consider whether you want to raise a Sterling or Euro based mortgage and there are pro's and con's for both depending on your individual circumstances.

This is a very specialised area and I recommend you speak to an Independent Mortgage Broker with plenty of experience in arranging overseas mortgages.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.