My wife is a foreign national, can we use her income for a mortgage?

Posted on 27 November 2012 by Steve

Can my wife's income who works for the UN abroad and who is a Honduran national be included with my income for a mortgage?


Your question is an interesting one and does depend on a number of factors, such as :-

  • Will you both be living in the property, or will it be a Buy To Let?
  • Does your wife have rights of residency in the UK?
  • What is the loan size and loan to value?
  • What are both of your income's?
  • Do you have any address history in the UK over the past 3 years?

There are lenders who can look at scenarios such as yours, but we would need some additional information, before giving you a more definitive answer.

If you'd like to discuss your enquiry in more detail, pease let me know and I'll arrange for you to speak to one of our consultants.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.