My partner is the sole name on the lease and mortgage. How do we do we add my name to either or both?

Posted on 3 February 2015 by Rebecca

My partner is currently the sole name on the lease and mortgage but we would like to amend this and wondered how we go about adding my name to either or both?


What you are looking to do is a "Transfer of Equity", whereby you would apply to remortgage the property into your joint names, which would add you to both the mortgage and title deeds. To do this you will need to meet the lenders standard affordability criteria to make sure that you are able to support the loan based on your current financial circumstances.

You may wish to firstly approach the current lender, however if they are unable to help, then I would suggest calling us on 0344 346 3672 and speaking to one of our consultants who should be able to assist you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.