My name's not on the mortgage and my ex has stopped paying it. What can I do?

Posted on 1 June 2014 by Charlotte

My name is not on the mortgage and I have just been awarded a occupation order to move back to my property with my 3 children and a non molestation order to keep my ex away he can't pay the mortgage because he said he's ill. He hasn't been paying it and hes now in arrears. I only work 16 hours .tax credits help me but I could not afford to pay it myself and he's saying I will be evicted .....Help me what do I do?


I'm afraid that this is more of a legal issue than a mortgage one.

You need to let the lender know what's going on straight away, and also speak to a solicitor to get advice on your legal position and rights in this situation. As you are not on the mortgage, the lender can't discuss details of the account, but they should be made aware of what's happening.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.