Mortgages in more names than the title deeds

Posted on 14 February 2011 by Anita

My sister and her husband are splitting up. I want to help her out by going on her mortgage when his name is removed (she wants to buy him out), can I do this without changing ownership of the property?

I have a joint mortgage with my husband on another property.


There are a few Lenders who will consider mortgages in more names than the title of the property, although normally only in exceptional circumstances.

They would want to be satisfied that you could afford your existing mortgage debt as well as the new one and will either take the whole mortgage payment as a monthly credit commitment or add both debts together to work out affordability.

I believe you would benefit from speaking to one of our independent mortgage advisers. Please call on 0344 346 3672 and tell the adviser the date of your question, they will be able to look at your situation and take it from there.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.