Just found out I need a Consent to Let, for my current property. Do I tell my lender or get a Buy To Let remortgage?

Posted on 30 April 2013 by Tony

After letting my property out for 2 years I have recently found out that I needed a consent-to-let. My Mortgage provider does not provide these. What should I now do, do I tell my mortgage provider? Or is it best to organise a Buy-to-let straight away.


I would probably suggest that we look at a Buy To Let mortgage straight away. If your current lender doesn't offer Consent to Let, telling them that you have been in breach of your mortgage contract for the past two years isn't going have them jumping for joy.

I would recommend that we put you in touch with one of our consultants immediately to look at the best option son a Buy To Let rate for you.

If you'd like to do so, then please let me know and I'll arrange a convenient time for one of them to contact you.




More than mortgages, talk to me about:

Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance

General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.