I've paid off most of the debt my ex-partner left me. Can I now remortgage and get him off the loan & deeds?

Posted on 10 November 2014 by Ramona

I bought a house in Hampstead with my ex partner with a view to living happily ever after. I soon realised the hard way that nothing lasts forever when he left me with a debt in excess of £200k. I am grateful I have a job that pays me well £250k a year and over the last 5 years have managed to clear down all the debt apart from £30k left on my mortgage arrears. I wanted to know if it is possible to remortgage so I can a) remove his name of the mortgage and the title and b) get myself with a decent lender at a decent interest rate. My current lender is Redstone mortgages and I am paying £4k a month to clear down the arrears and have never missed a payment. The property is worth £2.5m and has a £800k mortgage. I don’t have any other debts and have no ccjs or have never been bankrupt. My credit is clean; all bills paid on time apart from the mortgage arrears. My ex partner has also signed a declaration to say he has no financial interest in the property. Are you able to help me move on? Kind regards.


Whilst there are still current mortgage arrears, it will certainly be difficult to remortgage to any of the mainstream lenders, even though the loan to value is strong, and your income is good too.

Typically most lenders will want to have have seen the mortgage arrears cleared for 12 months before they will consider lending to you. However there are some lenders who specialise in "credit repair" that may be able to assist. Whilst the rates won't necessarily be as good as those found on the high street, they should be able to at least allow you to remove your ex-partner from the current loan and title deeds.

If you'd like to discuss your options in more detail, then please contact one of our consultants on 0344 346 3672 and they'll be able to give you a clearer picture of what we may be able to do to help you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.