Is my brother entitled to anything?

Posted on 19 February 2010 by kerry

Please can you advise me.  My brother and his girlfriend went for a mortgage and my brother was refused, so they checked my father out and said he could have it.  However my brother's girlfriend decided she would just get it in her name.  But, my brother paid the deposit by cheque and gutted the house from top to bottom, new central heating, windows etc. so much so that they didnt have to pay council tax for a year now the have seperated and she says he is not entitled to anything. Is this true?


On the face of it, your brother is not entitled to a share of the property as it was bought in his girlfriend's name.

However, I suggest that your brother takes independent legal advice as he may be entitled to a share of the increase in value due to the improvements made.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.