I'm 68, live abroad, and want to remortgage my house. Can you help?

Posted on 19 May 2013 by Katherine

I'm 68, live abroad, and want to remortgage my house. Can you help?

I have a house in Oxford worth £200,000 pounds with no mortgage on it. Could I remortgage it to £70,000 to buy a cottage in Ireland? Problematic is perhaps that I live in Germany and am 68. Thanks!


In principle, I don't see why this can't done. It's true that this isn't going to be the easiest case to place, but I'd be disappointed if we couldn't assist you.

There lenders who can assess a case on a manual basis and therefore look the individual merits of each one, and it's that type of lender that we would be more likely to approach for a case such as yours.

If you'd like to discuss your options in more detail, then let me know and I'll arrange a convenient time for one of consultants to call you.




More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.