I work abroad, and my wife lives in the UK. How best can we remortgage our home?

Posted on 26 January 2015 by Neil

Hi there. I currently work in Europe and my wife is based in the UK. We are looking to re-mortgage our property and I would like to know what the options are. Can I arrange the mortgage in my wifes name with my salary showing as an additional amount each month - like an extra salary??


There are a good number of lenders who will consider doing the mortgage in joint names, even though you are currently working abroad. If the mortgage is solely in your wife's name, then her income and financial standing would have to meet a lenders standard affordability requirements. Lenders wouldn't accept your income if you are not party to the mortgage.

If you want to talk through your options in more detail, then I would recommend calling one of our consultants on 0344 346 3672 and they'll be able to give you a better idea of how we can help you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.