I want to buy some land for £75,000 but it only has outline planning. I do own my own house, but don't know the best way to do this?

Posted on 20 July 2015 by Kathryn

Hi I own my own house worth about £155,000. I want to buy a piece of land valued at £75000 and would like a mortgage of around £100000 to start building before I sell my house to raise the rest of the capital needed to finish the build. The land has only outline planning. I don't want to spend out on architects and wait for plans to be submitted etc before purchasing the land in case someone else buys it from under us but it seems a self build mortgage would require plans that have been consented by the council. Would the best option be to raise a mortgage on the house I own to pay for the land and start the build and then wait til my house sells to raise the rest of the capital needed? Or could I get a self build mortgage without having consented plans?

Certainly the way with least amount of hassle, and the most speed would be to raise the £100,000 on your existing property, however as it would need to be a penalty free product, the rate isn't likely to be a low as the normal residential rates that you see advertised.

This does look like something that we should be able to assist you with, & I would recommend that you contact one of our consultants on 0344 346 3672 and they can give you a more exact idea of how we can help you get the land you're after.

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.