I want to buy my ex out of our joint mortgage. Do I apply to have the mortgage moved into my sole name with the current lender or remortgage away in my name solely?

Posted on 20 August 2013 by Lisa

I have a joint mortgage with my ex and want to buy him out. What are my options? Apply to have the mortgage moved onto my name solely, with current lender? Remortgage in my name solely? Are these any of my options and are there any other options?


The two options you've described are the main ones to look at. If your existing lender is happy for you to take the loan over on your sole name, and can offer you a good rate, the that's probably the easiet route to take. However if for any reason they won't agree to the transfer or given new a new business rate, then we can certainly look to move the away from them to another lender, again in your sole name.

I'd suggest having a discussion with one of our consultants to get a better idea of what's out there for you, and you can then decide on your course of action.

If you let me know when's a good time for you, I'll arrange for one of them to contact you.




More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.