How do I remove the charge on my house by my ex-husband?

Posted on 30 January 2013 by Sara

My ex-husband has a charge on my house but no longer wants it on there how do I remove it?


If it's just a charge and he's not on the mortgage, then you should be able to speak to your solicitor and ask them to arrange for the removal of the charge.

If you needed to raise capital against your property to pay your ex-husband to remove the charge, then you could either approach your exsiting lender, or look to do a remortgage to a new lender.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.