How do I protect my interests, when my husband is buying the property we live in in his sole name?

Posted on 19 May 2013 by Mia

Hi, I have been living with my ex husband(and our 20 year old son), as husband and wife again for the last three years. He is in the process of buying the council property we live in in his sole name, I am concerned that if things went wrong again he could tell me to leave and I would have nothing.

I put half my salary in to his bank account every week. I feel extremely vulnerable and any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.


You are right to be worried. With your current circumstances you would still have a claim to some of the property, but not at the same level as if you were still married and buying the property jointly. I would certainly reccomend that you talk to a solicitor to make sure that your interests are protected as far as possible.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:

Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance

General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.