How can we release capital from our Buy To Let?

Posted on 14 January 2013 by Bridget

We would like to release some capital in a property which is mortgage free but has tenants. How could we go about this? A bank we approached wanted 3 years of tax returns which we don't have since they moved in May 2012.


Most Buy To Let lenders do want to see evidence of some form of earned income, be it employed or self employed as they are looking to ensure that you would be able to cover any rental voids. It seems strange though that the lender you approached wanted 3 years tax returns relating to the property rather than your income.

There are lenders in the market who place more empahsis on the rental income the property is generating, and how you would propose to cover any rental voids, rather than what your current income may be. who would be better placed to help you.

Without knowing any of the exact figures I can't really go into anymore detail, but I do think it would be worth discussing your enquiry in more depth with one of our consultants. If you would like to do so, then please let me know and I'll arrange for one of them to contact you.



Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.