How can my husband claim half the house he owns with his son?

Posted on 20 March 2013 by Melani

My husband has a joint mortgage with his son who only paid first two years and lives in NZ. Can he claim half the house?


There are a couple of options. Your husband could apply for a transfer of equity, which his son would need to agree to, and this would see the mortgage and ownership of the property moved into his sole name. Alternatively your husband could get his solicitor to set the ownership up as 'tenants in common' whereby the percentage of the property can bet as 50/50 or any other split. Again though his son would have to give his agreement for this to happen.

Ideally your husband should speak to a solicitor to get the best advice for this particular situation.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.