How can I get my husband off the mortgage and deeds?

Posted on 12 November 2012 by Chris

My husband and I are seperating. A few years ago I had his name put on my mortgage and now its causing problems as he wont leave the house. As I added his name on the mortgage can I have it taken off and then remove him from the property legally ?


You need to speak to your solicitor regarding what you can / can't do on the legal side. On the mortgage side, as long as your income and personal circumstances would meet the lenders standard criteria, then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to take the mortgage on in your sale name again.

If you like to discuss this in more detail, then please let me know and I'll arrange for you to speak to one of our consultants.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.