Ex Pat BTL Mortgage

Posted on 28 January 2011 by John

I am currently living overseas and have not been resident in the UK since Sept 2009 and therefore have not been paying tax in the UK. Are there any lenders in the market who currently would offer a buy to let mortgage (assuming their other requirements are satisfied) to a UK citizen who is currently not resident in the UK?


You will almost certainly be able to obtain a mortgage, though this will depend on your own personal circumstances and the property you wish to buy.

The type of mortgage you will be able to get will most likely be a buy to let, either through an Onshore or Offshore Lender. If you are not intending to return to the UK anytime soon, I think it is more likely to be an Offshore Lender. All the main UK banks have operations in either the Isle of Mann or the Channel Islands and will typically lend up to 70% of the property value.

I recommend that you speak to an independent mortgage broker with experience of arranging Offshore mortgages and who can guide you through the choices of loan type, currency choice and rates.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.