Ex Partner not paying their share of mortgage

Posted on 28 March 2010 by peter

My partner and I bought a house 4 years ago with the help of my father, we split up after 12 months and I left the house.  My father continued to pay the mortgage on the understanding that my partner would pay him a sum every month (rent) which was agreed lower than the mortgage repayments, however my ex-partner now has a new man who has moved into the house and they have stopped paying anything toward the mortgage now owing my father in excess of £6,000 and she fails to respond to any calls and or txt messages.  I'm afraid to tell my lender in case this results in a bad mark against me, but what can we do?  Any suggestions please, my father can not keep paying ths mortgage.


I can understand your reluctance to speak to your mortgage Lender, but if they are made aware of the situation they can add their weight towards getting your ex partner to pay, whilst reaching an amicable arrangement with you and your Father. The 'bad mark' for a payment arrangement will be considerably less than for mortgage arrears or ultimately repossession.

If you haven’t already done so you should consult a solicitor as soon as possible. The mortgage is a joint and several liability which means that you are both responsible for making the mortgage payments. Your solicitor can write to her to remind her of her obligations and also advise you of your legal position regarding both the unpaid rent and her future occupancy.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.