Entitlement on Separation

Posted on 13 April 2010 by A Lampert

My partner and I have had a joint mortgage for four years but have decided to (amicably) separate. I put down the original £40,000 deposit on our house but we've paid the same amount into our joint account for these four years and have similar earnings. I will remain as sole mortgage payer (confirmed by lender) and my partner will move to rented accommodation. We need to know whether he is entitled to HALF the four year's mortgage payments from me, or not?? (No children involved).

I regret that the questions you have asked are beyond the limits of the advice we can offer.  Unless you are able to resolve this amicably, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice regarding your situation.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.