DWP Benefit Income

Posted on 4 November 2011 by Martin

How can we buy the house that we live in? We are both on D.W.P benefits because we can not work any more.  Is there a way to do it?


In theory it is possible to get a mortgage when your only income is derived from pensions and benefits, but in practice I think it will be highly unlikely.

I recommend that you speak to a local mortgage broker, amongst the usual personal details they will also need to know:

Who your landlord is?

The type of property you live in and whether there are any restrictions to it's occupancy?

A break down of how your income is derived.

The amount of any savings you have towards a deposit and costs.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.