Do I need to convert my loan to buy to let?

Posted on 27 January 2010 by David

I am planning on buying my council flat and living in it for a short while on a Fixed rate mortgage, I then plan to let the property. Will I have to change my mortgage to a buy to let mortgage or can it run on a standard mortgage? It will remain my only property.



The answer to your question lies with choosing the right lender at the outset.  Choose the wrong lender and you could find yourself in default of the mortgage conditions and facing possible repossession.

In all likelihood, the lender will agree to your application for consent to let the property and either increase the interest rate on your existing mortgage or switch you to a Buy to Let mortgage.  You will need to allow for this when calculating whether your anticipated rental income covers the mortgage payments and other incidental outgoings such as maintenance and ground rent. 

I suggest that you seek independent mortgage advice about your situation as soon as possible.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.