Do I need to change the mortgage to my sole name?

Posted on 26 March 2013 by Davies

I have a joint morgage with my father in law who also has his own joint morgage with his wife, we have received a letter asking does he need a buy to let morgage or which property does he live in, I live in the property does it matter if he doesn't live at my property? Or will I have to change the morgage into my name alone?

Mr Davies,

As long as on the original application form you submitted for the mortgage your father in law declared that it wasn't to be his main residence, then I don't think there should be any problem.

I would reccomend that you check the original paperwork, and see what that says, before contacting the lender. If they were under the impression that he lives there with you, it might be that we have to look at removing him from the mortgage.

Once you've checked the paperwork and spoken to your lender, then let me know and if needs be, I'll arrange for you to talk to a consultant to go through your options.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.