Deposit required for Ex-Pat coming home?

Posted on 2 December 2012 by Karen

Deposit required for Ex-Pat coming home?

I live in Geneva and work as a curriculum leader at the International School of Geneva. I earn CHF 142,000 per year. (B) permit. I want to buy a house in Scotland at £199,000. Can I get a mortgage and how much deposit do I need. I want to return to UK and this would be my home.


Essentially we should be able to assist in this situation, though there are some parts of the case that we would need to know, before being able to give you a definitive 'yes'.  

What is the timescale for you returning to the UK, and will you have an employed position to return to? Also will the property be rented out while you remain abroad, and if so do you know what level of rent the property is likely to acheive.

With regard to a deposit, the main rule of thumb is, that the more deposit you have to put down, the more options you are likely to have. Typically as an ex-pat you would need in the region of 25%.

If you would like to discuss your enquiry in more detail, then please let me know, and I'll arrange for one of our consultants to contact you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:

Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance

General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.