Currently our home is my wife's name only. Can we remortgage using both our incomes, but only her name on the deeds?

Posted on 7 August 2015 by Simon

Currently our house is mortgage free and in my wife's name only, we are looking to get a mortgage to extend the property and this would be a joint mortgage based on both incomes. Will we need both names on the title deeds to get a mortgage.


Typically for most lenders, they would require that if both names are on the mortgage, then both names must be on the deeds. However, there are a couple of lenders that do offer what's known as "joint borrower / sole proprietor", which is where both you and your wife would be on the mortgage, but the title deeds can be in just the one name.

Subject to knowing the rest of your financial situation, it should certainly be possible to raise the funds you need to extend your home.

I'd suggest it's worth speaking to one of our consultants on 0344 346 3672 and they'll be able to give to talk you through the "joint application / sole proprietor" process in more detail.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.