Council Right To Buy, but do I earn enough to get a mortgage?

Posted on 15 January 2013 by Lee

My girlfriend can buy her council house valued at £100k for £80k and has 50% discount and £15k deposit needing a £25k mortgage. Can you help as she has a low income thanks Lee.


Without knowing the details of your girlfriends income, it's difficult to give any exact guidance, however as a general rule lenders will look at around 4 - 4.5 x income, so she would need to be earning around £6,250 p.a. to hopefully be able to get the mortgage she needs.

If you or your girlfriend would like to discuss the case in more detail, then please let me know and I'll arrange for one of our consultants to contact you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.