Change of Name

Posted on 4 May 2012 by john

My divorced daughter is after a mortgage and has been told that if she changes her name back to ours she will not be able to obtain a morgage even though she has the required deposit

Is this a fact?

I would be most grateful.


I don't know who told your daughter this, but it is not right.  As part of any mortgage application your daughter will have to declare any names that she has used within at least the last 3 years and the Lender will then carry out a credit search using all of these to build up and accurate picture of her status.  Depending on the sophistication of the Lender's systems, there may be a problem with the Voters Roll showing up in her married name leading to a drop in her overall score, this is easily explained and on it's own should not lead to an application being declined.

I believe we can help your daughter and that she would benefit from speaking to one of our independent mortgage advisers.  Please ask her to call 0344 346 3672 and tell the consultant the date and title of your question, they will then be able to help her find the right mortgage for her situation.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.