Capital Raising on a Foreign Property

Posted on 1 May 2010 by Joe O\'Brien

I am a UK citizen now returning to live in the UK, from Australia. I have an Australian property which I own 100%.  Can I get a mortgage in the UK, using my Oz property as security, to buy a UK house?  If so what mortgage amount and interest rate would apply?


I am pleased to advise you that depending on your individual circumstances, it should be possible to raise a mortgage on your property in Australia to help fund a purchase in the UK.

Although I can't give you definite figures, Lenders will look towards a maximum loan to value of 70% and the current rates are in the region of 4.25% variable. The mortgage would be in Sterling and not Australian Dollars.

I recommend that you speak to an independent mortgage broker about your situation.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.