Can we remortgage our BTL from abroad?

Posted on 20 December 2012 by Paul Randall

Can we remortgage our BTL from abroad?

Hi, we are moving to Australia to work and have permission to let our property from our existing mortgage lender for 12 months then would need to obtain a buy to let mortgage but can't with them. Can we do this from Australia via internet, email, telephone etc or would we have to be in the UK? what problems with employment history for the application would we face?


You can certainly deal with a Buy To Let application from Australia when your existing consent runs out in a year. Not every lender can accept applications from borrowers residing in Australia, but as we're an Independent, Whole of Market Broker, this shouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

With regard to your employment and the new application it will largely depend who you are working for (whether they are a multi-national compnay), but again this should pose a serious issue.

As the mortgage market is fairly changeable at the moment, it would be good to get in touch a little nearer the expiry of the current consent, and I'll arrange for one of our consultants to run through your options at that point.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.