Can we help our parents move home?

Posted on 2 April 2013 by Wasiq

My parents would like to purchase a house for £300,000, but will only have £200,00 to fund this once they have sold their currrent house. Their four children would like to know, is it possible for us in conjunction with our parents to get a mortgage for £100,000 to help fund the purchase. The four children would be equally responsible for making the payments on the mortgage.


The only issue here maybe the number of applicants, as most lender cap this at four. So we could look to do the mortgage in your parents name, with two of your siblings, or in all the childrens names, with your parents having an interest in the property. 

If you'd like to have an initial discussion with a consultant to explain in more detail how this could work, then please let me know and I'll arrange a convenient time for you to do so.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.